If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.
Fleet Half Marathon 2021 – CANCELLED
(UPDATED 23 OCT 2020)
Unfortunately, we now find ourselves in times when the Covid-19 figures are increasing again and the government continues to tighten restrictions and mass gatherings. As a voluntary organisation, we have sadly now had to make the decision to cancel the 2021 event.
You may be asking why we are making this decision now 5/6 months before race day and we hope to outline some of the reasons why:
- We cannot start planning the race without considerable upfront expenses – this is not viable when there is no guarantee we could host the event in March next year.
- The current requirements to comply with the UKA Race Licence involve strict social distancing rules, including small rolling starts. Our entry numbers of 3000+, the restricted area to get in and out of the park, the numbers crossing the finish line at the same time and the route we use, including the need to get roads re-opened very quickly, would not allow us to meet the required measures.
- For the licence we need to have local authority backing which we certainly wouldn’t get currently.
- We have an obligation for the health and safety of all of our runners, our volunteers, our partners and our local community and we take this very seriously.
- Mass events are currently not permitted by law.
- Pushing the race back to later in 2021 would impact on other local races which are already established in the autumn as well as our own 10K race which we hope to be able host again in October 2021.
This decision has not been taken lightly however we feel that given the ongoing situation and recent tightening of restrictions we cannot commit to the race with so much uncertainty, further financial risk and the potential for future disruption to mass gatherings of this type. We are sure you appreciate the constantly changing situation being faced by us and many other events.
We very much hope to be able to organise an event in 2022 when the world will hopefully be in a better place.
Since the first event in 1982, thousands of runners have completed the race and the race has become the highlight of the year’s sporting calendar in Fleet and the surrounding area. Organised by Fleet & Crookham AC – we are all runners ourselves and volunteer to organise grass roots events
- A gently undulating but fast course with personal best potential
- Course is traffic-free
- An ideal build-up to the London or other spring marathons
- Pace Makers for 1:30, 1:40, 1:50; 2:00; 2:10 and 2:20 finish times
- Junior Mini Mile for 8-16 year olds – starting at 10.45am
- Well-marshalled route – over 150 cheering you on your way
- ChampionChip Timing gives you a personal time
- Professional medical support
- Professional race photography
- Experienced organising team, we are all runners too
- Major benefit for national and local charities
- Great local support on the route
- An opportunity to volunteer and support a local event even if you don’t run it
- Founder member of the British Association of Road Races
Fleet & Crookham AC Registered Charity 1156074
Helping to raise funds for the promotion of community participation in healthy recreation and the provision of facilities and coaching for all running/athletics disciplines in the Fleet area.